Menai Challenge 2012 Prize Draw
The winners for the 2012 Menai Challenge prize draw were drawn by Andrea and Ed Steinemann on Saturday 19th Jan 2012 - many thanks to Andrea and Ed for their help. Though the numbers were a little down on 2011 there were a total of 29 times posted, it was also good to see a number of new names appearing on the results sheets.
It seems that jury is still out on the fastest direction with the split being 13:16 for Gallows Point against the Sea Zoo as starting points.
The Menai Challenge Cup is presented jointly to the fastest man and fastest woman over the long course in each year. For 2012 the cup was awarded to John Willacy (01:25:09) and Justine Curgenven (01:31:25) respectively.
- 'Furthest distance traveled award' went to Matt Williams (Derby) closely followed by Mike Mayberry (Fishguard).
- 'Most relaxed run award' wasn't awarded this year as it appears everybody worked their nuts off (though it nearly went to Marcus D for getting beaten by Pascale).
- 'Ironman/woman award' was awarded to Ian O'Grady (RAFCA) for setting a cracking time on his first attempt.
- 'Greedy/Lucky Beggar award' went this year to Aled Williams for managing to get his name drawn out of the hat no less than 3 times.
The sponsored prizes were awarded on a raffle basis – you didn’t have to paddle hard to get in the draw, you just had to complete the distance. A name was thrown into the hat for each run completed.
Many thanks to all of the Sponsors who generously donated prizes:
- Anglesey Stick Greenland Paddles - a fantastic, hand-made Greenland paddle
- Kayak Essentials - Sea Kayak Essentials DVD Vol. 1 & 2 plus a 1 day of tide race or sea kayak surf coaching.
- PEAK UK - Paddling accessories from the manufacturer of top class paddling kit.
- Summit to Sea - Shop vouchers for their extensive range of paddling and biking equipment.
- Sea Kayaking Anglesey - a 2 day sea kayak coaching course on Anglesey.
|Prize||Winner||Club / Organisation|
|Anglesey Stick Greenland Paddle||Alex Parker||Trentham CC|
|Kayak Essentials Sea Kayak Skills DVD 1+2||Matt Williams||TJOK|
|Kayak Essentials 1 Day Surf/Tiderace Coaching Course||Ian O'Grady||RAFCA|
|Summit to Sea £50 voucher||Steve Miles||Anglesey Adventures|
|Summit to Sea £25 voucher||James Bradley||Surflines|
|Summit to Sea £25 voucher||Matthew Caunt|
|Sea Kayaking Anglesey 2 day Sea Kayak Coaching Course||Edward Caunt|
|PEAK UK Roofbar Pads||Steve Miles||Anglesey Adventures|
|PEAK UK Roofbar Pads||Jeff Parker||Trentham CC|
|PEAK UK Roofbar Pads||Aled Williams||Tiderace Sea Kayaks|
|PEAK UK Roofbar Pads||James Stevenson||Adventure Elements|
|PEAK UK Roofbar Pads||Adam Harmer||John Moore's Uni|
|PEAK UK T-Shirt||James Bradley||Surflines|
|PEAK UK T-Shirt||Aled Williams||Tiderace Sea Kayaks|
|PEAK UK Wallet||Pascale Eichenmuller|
|PEAK UK Wallet||Marcus Demuth||Valley Kayaks|
|PEAK UK Wallet||Adam Harmer||John Moore's Uni|
|PEAK UK Wallet||Aled Williams||Tiderace Sea Kayaks|